Ground alum, also known as aluminum potassium sulfate or simply alum, is a chemical compound that is commonly used for a variety of purposes. It has a crystalline appearance and is soluble in water.
Here are some common uses of ground alum:
- Food preservation: Ground alum is commonly used as a food preservative, particularly for pickling and preserving fruits and vegetables. It helps to keep the food crisp and firm by inhibiting the growth of bacteria and fungi.
- Water treatment: Ground alum is also used in water treatment plants to purify water by removing impurities and suspended particles. It works by causing the particles to clump together and settle to the bottom of the treatment tank, making it easier to remove them.
- Tanning: Ground alum is used in the tanning industry to tan animal hides and skins. It helps to stabilize the proteins in the hides, making them more durable and resistant to decay.
- Photography: Ground alum is also used in the photographic industry to develop photographic prints. It is used in the final step of the developing process to fix the image and prevent it from fading over time.
- Deodorant: Ground alum can also be used as a natural deodorant. It has astringent properties that help to shrink pores and reduce sweating, while also killing odor-causing bacteria.
It is important to note that while ground alum has many useful applications, it should be handled with care, as it can be toxic if ingested in large quantities. It is also important to follow recommended safety guidelines when handling alum, as it can be a skin and eye irritant.
Product of USA
Larger quantities available. Please Contact us for pricing.